Fascinating bit of history from the Historians of Hillsdale, NY, the town in which I live. Thanks, Lauren and Chris.
Close to Home: Slavery in Columbia County
Black History Month spurred us to investigate the institution of slavery in the Hudson Valley and, more specifically, Hillsdale. Like most Americans, we’ve been inclined to think of slavery as largely a Southern institution. But it was hugely important in the colonial North. From the earliest days of Dutch occupancy right up to the Civil War, much of New York State’s bustling economy benefited directly from traffic in enslaved humans…. [more]
Like what you’ve read?
- Want to comment, share a thought or a critique? Please do! I value your input and promise to read and respond.
- Want to support my work? Here are a few ways to do that:
- Share this with your friends, and please tag me when you do.
- Buy me a coffee. (Opens in a new tab — click on Support.)
- Become a member and share in my research. (Opens in a new tab — click on Membership.)